Thursday, September 3, 2009

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

To: Mitch Stewart
Director, Organizing for America

Dear Mitch,

I received your request for a donation to Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee.

I am a Democratic Party District Leader and trade unionist. I campaigned for Obama and was optimistic that there would be great changes.

So far I've been disappointed.

"Don't ask don't tell" is still the gays in the military policy. Obama said all Americans would be able to serve, regardless of sexual preference.

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

EFCA is still stalled and compromises have already gutted the bill's intent.

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

Three Trillion Dollars in bailout money have been given to the banks and other financial institutions. My mortgage is not reduced, the interest is not reduced, my credit card balance stayed the same and banks can still charge 29.9% interest and huge late fees, while paying depositors 2% on savings accounts.

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

My income is stagnent, but my local taxes, service fees, and public transportation costs went up double digit percentages. Water bill up 28%, Metro North train tickets up 23%, etc. Where is my bailout?

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

Workers involved in labor disputes still can't be fired for union activity, but can be permanently replaced. This is a travesty that Obama promised he would fix.

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

My employer (Tribune) is in bankruptcy, my wages are frozen, my pension is gone, my benefits reduced, yet the company has petitioned the bankruptcy court for permission to pay $ 70 Million Dollars in executive bonuses...and it will be approved! Obama promised that these kind of corporate greed behaviors would be curtailed.

WHERE IS THE CHANGE?

Where is the change? If you are not outraged, you are not paying attention.

I can't, in good conscience, donate another penny to your cause until at least some progress has been made.

Sincerely,
Robert R. Daraio

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is the change? I'll tell you where the change is, it's in my unemployment check. After I get done paying all my bills all I have left is change!

Chet
Former Air11 Photog