How can the citizens of the United States of America have forgotten so much about the concept of democracy, freedom and liberty?
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
From "The New Colossus", a sonnet by Emma Lazarus (1849-1887), written in 1883 and, in 1903, engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty.
I received the list of the draconian penalties illegal immigrants allegedly receive if they attempt to enter North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, China, Venezuela, and Cuba.
To suggest that the United States of America, "the land of the free and home of the brave", should follow the policies of countries whose record on human rights is actually worse than our own is insulting to our founding fathers, and unless you are a Native American Indian, your own forefathers. We are all immigrants or the descendants of immigrants.
As for the list of "free" benefits for illegals in the USA that are listed below, they are not so available, and not so "free".
1) There is no guarantee of a job for illegals and the jobs they can get are mostly at the bottom of the income scale with substandard wages and conditions. They do however have to pay taxes on that income.
2) Yes, illegal workers can get a drivers license in the U.S. if they pass the same test as citizens. Would you rather they drove illegally and uninsured? Watch your insurance rates go through the roof if that happens.
3) Social Security, Welfare, and Food Stamps are not now, nor have they ever, been available to illegal workers. The government has far more serious ID checks for determining qualification for these benefits than most private employers. So, the illegal workers pay in to Social Security, Unemployment, and Disability insurance along with the rest of their taxes, but never collect, ever!
4) If you are here illegally you do not have the right to vote, anywhere.
5) Unless one is homeless, you either own a home or rent. Either way, whether a citizen or illegal, you pay real estate taxes, either as a property owner or as part of your rent. This pays for the schools for everyone, citizens and illegals alike.
6) There is no government program designed to give special loans to illegals for any purpose what so ever.
7) The "free" health care that is available to illegals is the same as given to citizens that can't afford to pay for emergency room emergencies.
8) We print documents in many languages for citizens, legal visitors and students, and yes illegals. This allows everyone to understand our laws and customs and helps with public safety in this cultural melting pot we call home.
9) In a free country such as ours, people have the right to lobby, speak, and write about whatever they choose, welcome to Democracy folks.
10) Yes, illegal immigrants have the right to carry our flag, both in protest, and in it's defense. Many illegals have served with distinction in our armed forces as a way to earn citizenship.
I used to think about immigration much the same way you do, then I read a book or two on immigration policy in the U.S. as part of the MA in Labor Studies program at the CUNY Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies.
So yes, I think I've got this right. How about you?
This is what I received today:
IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.
IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.
IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.
IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.
IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.
IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.
IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET !!!
A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, CREDIT CARDS,
SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION, FREE HEALTH CARE, A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON, BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE
THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY'S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT AND, IN MANY INSTANCES, YOU CAN VOTE.
I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP OF THE SITUATION !!!
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Posted by Robert Daraio at 12:40 PM